July 26, 2013

Friends on Friday - PANCAKES it is!


In the next few weeks I’ll be posting some of my ‘friends’ recipes, people who are in my life – who have helped me, supported me or used my services and vice versa. I have such a wonderful community that I thought it was essential to share them with you too.

The first of my ‘Friends on Friday’ is Dr Helen Alevaki of chiropractic4wellness in Rathdowne Street, Melbourne, she’s often told me of her Saturday morning ritual and she’s willing to share it with you too! Helen has been a chiropractor for 20 years and treats me regulary, I love that one of Helen’s goals is to never retire and provide chiropractic care to generations of her client’s – her motto in life is “It’s not the years in your life, but the life in your years…LIVE!!!”

‘Here is my recipe….my girls love pancakes…well, who doesn’t!  We make these on a weekend or during the holidays when I have more time for fluffing around the kitchen’. Helen

Grain-free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
These grain-free apple cinnamon pancakes are simple to prepare, high in protein and offer a flavour and texture.

Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Ready In: 35 mins

Yield: 8 - 12 Silver Dollar Pancakes (4 Servings)

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 tablespoon honey/coconut syrup/maple syrup
1/2 cups coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 butter or coconut oil (for frying pancakes)
 cinnamon (for sprinkling the pancakes)

Method:
1. Toss eggs, applesauce and honey into a food processor and pulse until slightly mixed. Add coconut flour, salt and baking soda slowly to the liquid ingredients and process until they form a firm batter that is still liquid enough to pour off a spoon.
2. Melt ghee or coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium to medium-low heat. Pour a heaping tablespoon of the pancake batter into the hot fat, sprinkle with cinnamon. Gently fry the pancake for a few minutes, until browned on the bottom; flip the pancake and fry for a further one to two minutes.
Continue working in batches, adding ghee or coconut oil as necessary, until your batter exhausted. Serve with honey, fruit or yogurt.

This recipe is reprinted with permission of Dr. Jill Tieman and you can find more recipes like it in her online cooking classes: Go Grain-free.

Enjoy and happy Friday. Are you a pancake kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment